2009-03-14

Solubility product constants

On Friday we looked at solubility product constants and how we can use Ksp to understand how salts dissolve in water. Don't forget, just like Ka and Kb and Kw, Ksp is just an equilibrium constant that refers to a specific reaction type. It follows all the same rules and trends as any other equilibrium constant.

I hope you all have a great break. There are a couple announcements regarding the next couple weeks:
1. I will be gone to the American Chemical Society's National Meeting and Exposition in Salt Lake City, UT, March 21-26, so my section of Chem 210 will not meet on Monday or Wednesday of the week after break. My Chem 210L section will meet on Tuesday at its regularly scheduled time.
2. Our next exam is scheduled for March 27th, the Friday after break. Since I will be out of town until Thursday evening, a few people expressed concern that they would have a difficult time preparing for the exam if I am out of town. Although I have the utmost faith that you would all be able to do a splendid job preparing in my absence, I can see that this might give rise to a little extra anxiety, so Exam 3 will move back a day to Monday, March 30th.
3. Although I will be out of town, I will be in email contact and I will be posting to the blog. Those posts will include answers to any questions I get via email as well as other info and sample problems. Check the blog for new content. If you have questions to email me, please include specific information. I won't have my textbook with me, so asking "How do I do #37 in Chapter 15?" will make it kind of difficult for me to give you a meaningful answer.
4. I will be setting up at least one (probably 2) Mastering Chemistry assignments for the week after break. I will have those assignments go "live" as soon as I organize them and will post a notice to the blog.
5. For those of you in my lab, I will post some info for you all as well. I'll probably try to post it on my web page with a notice on the blog, but it may end up here. I will have a few more graded assignments (including your last lab report) to be handed back in lab. At this point, Dr. Edvenson will be your lab instructor.

I'm sure I'll think of a few other things over the next couple days, I'll post any info that comes up.

No comments:

Post a Comment