2011-07-24

Questions

A couple email questions...
-------------
Hello professor Bodwin,
I have two questions about the material for exam four. When assigning oxidation numbers, would diatomic ions have a charge of 0, like I2? And on problem set #10 number 3, for the second reaction, on the answer key you have that 3 e- needed to be added to both sides of the reduction half-rxn. I am confused why it is added to both sides and not just the reactant side.
-------------
In diatomic molecules like I2, each iodine has an oxidation number of 0. This is iodine in its neutral, uncombined {with other elements} form. All the elements that are diatomic molecules (H2, N2, O2, halogens) are oxidation number zero when they are their uncombined diatomic molecule.

On problem set #10... oops, that's a mistake. I was copying and pasting reactions and I must have forgotten to delete some of those electrons. It should be:

----------

Reduction half-rxn: 2( 3 e- + Cr3+(aq) รณ Cr(s) )

----------
Let me know if there are more questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment